Thursday, September 19, 2013

Super Spartan - Wintergreen Resort - VA

Super Spartan - VA

Off I went on a Friday afternoon to get my first Super Spartan of the year and key to getting the Trifecta again this year. Already 2 Sprints under my belt.
A 5 hour drive to the closet town to the race at the ski resort. Stayed at a Holiday Inn and it was jammed pack with Spartans… as was every other hotel in the area.
Probably the most action a Friday night the town had ever seen.
Got a good night’s rest and headed to the site bright at early, as the sun was coming up.

Up and up and up the winding roads to the resort. It became clear that this race would be starting from closer to the top than bottom. Interesting.
I found the VIP lot and parked maybe 50 feet from the start, though I had to walk around the festival to get signed in.
When I wandered around a bit before the race I got a glimpse of what were would be in for. Ski hills. A lot of them.

(above: morning on the mountain)

But this was a Super, so I guessed 8-10 miles.
Like a moron, I forgot my gels, and remembered about 12 seconds before my 8am elite heat. All the big names, Hunter, Hobie, Elliot, David, Alec… a real competitive group. Top of the heap.
The race was billed as a good warm-up for Vermont Championships.
Off we went.
Novia was doing the race too, but not until 11:30. I figured I would at least see him off before I left. I was wrong about that.

(above: the loot)

From the start, down a little run, under a tunnel, couple of the over-under obstacles, then up the hill.
The short version of the race: up a grinding steep hill. Down through the trees and nearly impassible river-beds. Obstacle at the top of the hill, obstacle at the bottom.
Rinse, repeat.
A lot of the greatest hits: spear throw early (hit!), monkey bars (breezed through), sandbag carry (not bad at all)… then an EVIL log carry right on the heels. Heavier than the sandbag and much more awkward as it bounced as you went down the hill then a long terrible climb up again. Seemed like forever. This was about 5 miles in, and without gels and the incessant climbing I had started cramping in the legs.
I stopped halfway up, dropped the log, wedged it under my hamstring, and used it as a foam roller for a minute and got rid of the cramp. Off I went.
Make all the wall climbs smoothly. Swim good, log flip, Hercules hoist was interesting… weight was 100lbs instead of 70. No problem once I realized this.
Inverted wall again like PA and I’m tall enough to leap and grab the top and pull myself up. Makes it much easier.
All in all the course was 8 miles. I did ZERO burpees. Awesome.

(above: sandbag carry)


(above: epic and LONG log carry... this is at the end of the carry... I look fresh huh?)


(above: glad pit... don't make me laugh boys)


(above: fire-jump aka money shot)

But the real story that I’ve glossed over: the climbs and elevation.
(pic)
There was almost ZERO places to run. It was climb up and try not to kill yourself going down, over and over.
The NJ Super last year was at a ski hill. 11.5 miles. This was only 8 miles but so much tougher it’s hard to explain.
Relentless climbing in the heat. Wicked climbing. Endless. This was a mental race.
Many many people broke.
I was in the Elite heat and I’ve never seen so many fine athletes sitting on hills with the dead dolls-eyes looks on their faces. Spent. Discouraged. Crushed.
I’m not going to lie. It was hard. Brutal. Physically the toughest race I’ve ever run including my 50K ultra.
There was just no let-up to it.
The last ¾ mile was up again. You could hear the sounds of laughter and the festival above. You could see that there were still obstacles ahead like the rope climb.
I ran out of water on mile 5.
You just climbed.
In retrospect I’m always hard on myself. I left time out there for SURE. I stopped twice to dump rocks out my shoes. I rested a number of times. Did I give 100%?
No… but close. I always beat myself up after the race though.
I DID however have fun and enjoy the misery. I climbed when they sat down and gave up. I grinded through,
During the race I came across a lot of negativity. I’ve seen exhaustion before plenty of times, but this was different. It was infectious. People on the course were constantly bitching about it not being a race, just a hike. At one point someone announced to agreement that no one was having any fun. I hadn’t said a word until then, but piped up, not to be a smartass. “I’m having fun.”
I got a lot of “huh?” stares. I continued: “When I want to be comfortable, I run my favorite trails or local races. When I want a physical and mental challenge that really pushes my limits, I sign up to these. This is SUPPOSED to be brutal. If you’re not having fun, fine, but don’t blame the course or the organizers. This is a brutally tough course. So what.”
That kind of shut them down, but the negativity around the course was everywhere.

(above: elevation)


(above: the GPS track of the course)

My opinion is simple: if the course doesn’t suit your strengths, then don’t race it again, but I promise you that if I followed that plan, I never would have raced again after my first Spartan.
It was the course that kicked the piss out of me and inspired me to train differently and harder. It exposed my weaknesses and I was thankful for that. I’m a better athlete for it.
Virginia was no different.
Like I said: even though I feel like I left 20-30 min in time out there, it’s ok. That’s room for me to improve.
I’m happy enough to say that mentally I wasn’t broken by the course and I am thankful for it.
I’m ok with having long tough races and not cruising comfortably through things sometimes. This is what makes me stronger.
I finished the race in 3hrs 59 minutes. To keep this in perspective, NJ was also a Super on a ski hill and 3.5 miles LONGER yet this race took me 25 minutes longer.
The Texas Beast was 13.5 miles and I finished IT in 3:39. Hilarious huh?
So terrain wins always.

I would go back and do that race again. It prepared me for The World Championships in Vermont in a few weeks. It should be the same kind of course except 5 miles longer or so.
I’m ready for it.
In the meantime, in less than a week, my 100K race.
What have I gotten myself into?
Arroooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment